Get outside and enjoy nature – all for a good cause!
IndiGo Birding Nature Tours and Community Kitchen are teaming up to present the first ever Birding Bonanza fundraiser. You can participate by asking friends or family to sponsor you for each type of bird that you find on the Bonanza bird identification form, up to $100 for finding them all. You then collect your sponsorship funds and turn the money in to Community Kitchen. The event starts now and ends on March 31, 2021. All monies must be turned in by April 9, 2021.
Here’s how it works:
1. Download the Birding Bonanza Info Sheet, Bird ID Form and Sponsorship Form (from this website) or IndiGo Birding’s website (www.indigobirding.com). If you need more challenge, here is an Advanced Bird ID Form.
2. Ask sponsors to pay you for each type of bird that you spot. Each bird is assigned a dollar value (shown on the bird ID form). You can set up your own fundraising page and solicit online donations by getting started here.
3. You can sign up for a nature tour with IndiGo Birding (see details about special tours) or find the birds on your own.
Some of the birds are quite common. You can see them in your backyard, at bird feeders, or in your neighborhood park. Some of the birds are more likely to be found near water or in the woods. For a better chance at finding the less common species, you might want to join an IndiGo Birding tour.
Your entire family can participate. If you have family members who are unable to hike or need to remain in isolation during the pandemic, they can start marking off the birds they see in their yard. Then other family members can continue marking off the birds on the sheet during tours or hikes.
Sponsors can pledge the amount for all of the birds you find or they can pledge a set amount. You want to get as many sponsors as possible. We want all types of sponsors to participate so be creative and flexible when you ask for sponsorship.
Help us keep the excitement going by using social media to share your progress. Take pictures during your hikes or take pictures of the birds you find and let us know how much fun you are having! Use #birdingforthekitchen to spread the word.
Prizes and perks:
During the fundraiser, join any scheduled IndiGo Birding Nature Tour for $10 off by emailing email@example.com to register. Tour schedule is available at indigobirding.com. You can also register for one of three free local tours by IndiGo Birding specifically for the Birding Bonanza:
- Saturday, Feb. 27 at Paynetown SRA on Lake Monroe
- Saturday, Mar. 13 at Fairfax SRA on Lake Monroe
- Tuesday, Mar. 16 at Griffy Lake
All of these bird walks will be from 9:30-11:00 a.m., are limited to 15 people, and require masks.
The person or family that raises the most money wins a private, customized birding or kayak tour with David Rupp of IndiGo Birding Nature Tours. (Up to 6 people on a local, half-day tour.)
Everyone that raises at least $200 receives a certificate for $10 off any IndiGo Birding tour in the future.
Have fun and spread the word as we count down the days until spring!